At CHARM MY EVENT, we understand the importance of lighting in a wedding ceremony, both functionally and aesthetically. Lighting can set the tone for your special day and help highlight all the details that you’ve spent months planning for. Our aim is to provide you with a stress-free and enjoyable wedding planning experience, and that’s why we prioritize lighting to help make your wedding unforgettable.
If you’re looking for inspiration or guidance on lighting, our team of professionals can help. We have experience in a range of weddings, including Indian, Pakistani, Desi, modern, classic, and traditional South Asian weddings, and have provided our services in New Jersey and the New York City metro area. With your vision and our innovation, we can create the perfect lighting plan for your special day.
Essential Lighting Terms to Know
Before you start planning your lighting, it’s important to familiarize yourself with some key lighting terms to help you communicate your needs with the professionals. Here are some common lighting terms you should know:
- Color Wash: This refers to the general fill of color used throughout an entire room, which doesn’t highlight any specific area. It “washes” the whole room in your chosen color.
- Gobo Lighting: This involves custom templates that light shines through to create a pattern, monogram, or motif on the floor, ceiling, or wall.
- Texture Lighting: Similar to Gobo lighting, but with a preset pattern, like leaves or a starry night sky.
- LED Light: This refers to a type of bulb that is cost-effective, long-lasting, and provides a more vibrant color than a traditional bulb.
- Pendants: These are single fixtures that hang from the ceiling and are sometimes referred to as drop or suspender lights.
- Pinspot: Tiny lights that illuminate a small area, such as centerpieces on a table.
- Spotlight: Illuminators that cast a focused ray of light on a specific subject or region.
- Twinkle lights: fairy lights, bistro lighting, and cafe lights are some of the various names for string lights. These light strands are highly adaptable and budget-friendly, making them a prevalent choice for illuminating any area. Their versatility in style and placement makes them a beloved choice among event planners and decorators alike.
- Uplighting: This involves lights that point up, placed on the floor to shine up walls and decor in various colors.
Average Wedding Lighting Costs
Wedding lighting costs can vary significantly based on your chosen venue, desired style, and overall budget. It’s hard to estimate how much you should budget since these factors differ for each wedding. Some couples prefer to handle lighting on their own, while others hire a professional. If you choose to work with a lighting designer, here are the average prices you can expect, excluding labor and delivery, according to industry experts:
- Uplighting for an entire ballroom: $600-$2800
- Gobo lighting: $250-$600
- Texture lighting: $40-$80 per light fixture
- Spotlight: $40-$200
- Pinspot lighting: $30-$65 per light/table
- String lights: $4-$9 per linear foot
- Chandeliers: $200-$550
- Pendants: $20-$35 per
- Projector, Computer, and Screen to manage lighting: $250-$750
Talk to your event planner or wedding coordinator for lighting designer recommendations. Be sure to ask if labor and delivery is included in the price quote so that you don’t have any unexpected expenses.
DIY Wedding Lighting Costs
If you opt to take lighting into your own hands, start by checking your at-home stash. Maybe you have Christmas lights or candles that can help bring your vision to life. Consider asking family and friends to contribute any extra lighting they may have before purchasing any new items.
Tips For Outdoor And Indoor Wedding Lighting
- Incorporate Personal Touches: Whether it’s your initials or a special pattern, you can personalize your lighting with a custom Gobo light or texture lighting. This is a unique way to make your wedding lighting stand out and add a personal touch to your wedding day.
- Dim The Lights During Dinner: While brighter lighting is great for photos and the dance floor, you’ll want to dim the lights during dinner to create a more intimate atmosphere. Use dimmers or lower wattage bulbs to create a soft, romantic glow.
- Test Lighting Beforehand: It’s important to test your wedding lighting beforehand to ensure everything looks and functions as it should. Do a full lighting rehearsal with your lighting designer or DIY setup to avoid any unwanted surprises on your wedding day.
- Opt For Wireless Lighting: Wireless lighting is a great option for outdoor weddings or venues without a lot of electrical outlets. Battery-operated lights and wireless uplighting can provide just the right amount of illumination without the need for cords or electrical outlets.
- Consider A Lighting Change During The Reception: If you’re planning on having a more formal ceremony followed by a lively reception, consider changing the lighting after the ceremony to match the energy of the dance floor. Uplighting and string lights can easily transform your venue from formal to festive.
- Work With A Professional: While DIY wedding lighting can save you money, working with a professional lighting designer can ensure a flawless execution and take the stress off of you on your big day. They have the experience and knowledge to create a lighting design that fits your vision and budget.
South Asian Wedding Lighting
South Asian weddings, including Indian, Pakistani, and Desi weddings, are known for their vibrant colors, intricate details, and opulent decor. When it comes to lighting, South Asian weddings require special attention to detail to fully showcase the grandeur and beauty of the wedding day.
From custom Gobo lights to traditional chandeliers, there are plenty of ways to incorporate lighting into a South Asian wedding. Uplighting and color washes are popular choices to highlight the rich colors of South Asian weddings, while texture lighting can add an extra layer of detail to intricate designs.
Whether you’re going for a modern, classic, or traditional look, our team at CHARM MY EVENT can help bring your vision to life with our innovative and personalized approach to wedding lighting. We are based in the New Jersey and New York City metro area and have worked with countless couples to create unforgettable wedding lighting designs.
Wedding lighting is a crucial aspect of any wedding, from creating the perfect ambiance to showcasing all of the hard work you’ve put into your decor. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be well on your way to creating the perfect wedding lighting design for your big day.
At CHARM MY EVENT, we believe that your wedding lighting should be a reflection of your unique style and vision. Whether you’re planning a South Asian wedding or a classic, modern wedding, we’re here to help bring your wedding lighting dreams to life. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and let’s create a wedding lighting design that is truly unforgettable.